Sufeng 1 Edible Lotus
- Plant when temperatures average 59F (15C)
- 68 – 86 F (20 – 30 C ) peak time to grow , pH; 6.5 to 8.0
- Full sun is essential, with longer days during the summer. Best in Northern latitudes
- Tubers will grow the largest when there are warm days and very cool night
- Recommended pond size: Minimum size: 3 wide x 10 ft long x 20 inches deep (including soil). Larger ponds will produce larger tubers.
- Tubers are planted at a depth of 8 to 10 in, (20 to 25 cm)
- Start with shallow water when planting – 1 to 2 inches (3 to 5 cm); Floating leaf – 2.3 to 2.75 in. (6 to 7 cm); 2 – 3 standing leaves – 4 in. (10 cm); At peak temperature 86 F plus- 12 in (30 cm) of water
- Lower the water before harvesting tuber to 4 in. (10 cm)
- Edible lotus are very heavy feeders. Fertilize when first standing leaf appears; Second application . Third application
- Beware of wind damage to the tall, large leaves. If broken, the tubers will not grow. If the stem breaks below the water, it may kill the plant
- Growth will stop at 15 C
- Harvest time is when leaves and stems turn yellow, usually late September. Tubers may be harvested as the weather permits, providing fresh lotus tuber
- Tubers should be refrigerated once they are harvested.