Nelumbo ‘ Real Beauty ‘
Leaf Height: 6 inches to 8 inches ( 15 to 20 cm)
Flower Type: Single
Flower Diameter: 1.25 to 1.75 inches (3.0 to 4.4 cm)
Flower Height: 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20 cm)
Flowering Period: July
Comments: Best to grow in a 6 inch (15 cm) pot. A larger pot will produce a bigger plant
Guidelines for growing Micro Lotus:
- Start with a pot size of 15 cm or about 6 inches in diameter. This will assure good growth and flower production. The smallest pot which may be used is 6 cm or 2.3 inches in diameter – this is only recommended for the experienced grower.
- Plant tuber when average temperature is above 68 F (20 C)
- Plant in a well ventilated, outdoor area
- Make sure pot stays full of water – micro lotus will dry up quickly due to their small pot size
- Flowering temperature is 77 F (25 C) to 95 F (35 C)
- Water is best at a neutral pH ( 7.0)
- Fertilize every 15 days with a weak application of aquatic fertilizer (1/4 Tablet)
- Remove old leaves and flowers only when “dead, with no signs of green”. This will encourage new growth.
- Allow for winter dormancy but do not let tuber freeze.
Because of their small size, Micro Lotus can be a challenge to grow.