Akai Ryu Venus Fly Trap
Dionaea muscipula ‘Akai Ryu’ is a remarkable venus fly trap which features bright red stems and dark burgandy traps. Akai Ryu is Japanese for Red Dragon. The Akai Ryu venus fly trap was introduced in 1997 by the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. It was created by Ron Gagliardo after years of working with red venus fly traps. Akai Ryu is a vigorous growing fly trap which grow to 4 inches. Grow Akai Ryu in full sun to develop and maintain it’s deep red coloration.
10 in stock
Akai Ryu Venus Fly Trap Red Dragon
Venus Fly traps will be dormant November until March
Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula) Care
• Use only pure water – rainwater, distilled water or RO water. Be careful of bottled water as some contain salt which will kill your Venus fly trap
• Keep soil moist; usually a tray or dish with 1/2 to 1.0 inch of water
• Mist the trap every few days with pure water
• VFT like a sunny or partial sunny location. If growing under lights inside, 3 to 6 inches from light source.
• Soil is a mixture of 50% peat and 50% course sand. Some growers add pearlite to the mix.
• Do not fertilize your plant. VFT will receive sufficient nutrition from the bugs they catch
• Do not feed your trap hamburger or other foods, let them catch their own food
• Do not trigger or force the trap closed. This take a lot of energy from the plant plus the traps can only open and close one to three times.
• VFT take 3 to 4 years to mature and may live for 20 to 30 years.
• It’s best to let your VFT go dormant from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day. Keep cool but freezing; keep moist but not too wet. A cold garage, cold window are good – 35 to 50 degrees