Akai Ryu Venus Fly Trap Red Dragon
Venus Fly traps will be dormant November until March
Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula) Care
• Use only pure water – rainwater, distilled water or RO water. Be careful of bottled water as some contain salt which will kill your Venus fly trap
• Keep soil moist; usually a tray or dish with 1/2 to 1.0 inch of water
• Mist the trap every few days with pure water
• VFT like a sunny or partial sunny location. If growing under lights inside, 3 to 6 inches from light source.
• Soil is a mixture of 50% peat and 50% course sand. Some growers add pearlite to the mix.
• Do not fertilize your plant. VFT will receive sufficient nutrition from the bugs they catch
• Do not feed your trap hamburger or other foods, let them catch their own food
• Do not trigger or force the trap closed. This take a lot of energy from the plant plus the traps can only open and close one to three times.
• VFT take 3 to 4 years to mature and may live for 20 to 30 years.
• It’s best to let your VFT go dormant from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day. Keep cool but freezing; keep moist but not too wet. A cold garage, cold window are good – 35 to 50 degrees
Yemon Oo (verified owner) –
Plant arrived healthy. Shipping very fast to California. Wish I had a bit more instructions on how to harden it off to outside since it’s still early spring and I plan to put it outside. Will keep in my bathroom at night and move to morning sun daily for a week and hopefully it lives.
Larry Nau –
The akai Ryu are growing well in our greenhouse. Looking at your 10 day forecast there should be no problem in putting it outside. I would start with a partly sunny location and gradually move it to a totally sunny location over a period of 10 to 14 days.